Deep in the vagina, at the cervix- with clean hands, insert the 4 pills deep into the vagina, as close as possible to the cervix. Lay down for 30 minutes. See the next lesson for more information about Misoprostol.
You may already have your pills and have already decided that medication abortion (abortion with pills) is right for you. There are different methods of abortion in Western medicine that you may have come across in your search.
Which Method Will You Use?
Mifepristone + Misoprostol: considered the safest form of medication abortion, it is available in most of Europe and North America, parts of Africa, and Asia.
Misoprostol Alone: Also sold under the brand name Cytotec, it is commonly used alone to induce abortion in countries where abortion is legally regulated, and mifepristone is hard to access.
Methotrexate + Misoprostol: Similar to mifepristone + misoprostol, but the methotrexate is given by a doctor in an office, and patients are usually given the misoprostol to take at home later. If you have a methotrexate abortion and are using this course, feel free to reach out to us for more tailored assistance.
Surgical or MVA, electric aspirator abortion: If you choose to have an abortion at a clinic, you will have a surgical abortion. Instruments will be gently inserted into the uterus to remove all of the contents.
The type of abortion that is available to you differs depending on the country you live in. This is because abortion products must be registered through a country’s FDA or pharmaceutical governing body, and not every country has the same products.
Some countries may commonly offer mifepristone + misoprostol regimen, misoprostol alone, or potentially a mix of methotrexate + misoprostol. All methods are safe and effective. If you live in a country where a mix of several different methods is available, then it is important to make a choice of the method based on your preference.
Surgical vs. Medication Abortion
The choice of whether to choose medical or surgical abortion is a personal one. It depends on a number of personal factors according to your own comfort and preference. If for any reason your abortion with pills does not complete, you will need to find a provider who is able to remove the contents of your uterus. It is the same procedure as the surgical abortion, simply to remove whatever contents of the uterus did not complete during your abortion.
The main differences between surgical and medical abortion are as follows:
- TIME: the process of abortion with pills can take days, with residual bleeding and spotting that can last up to 1 week or more. Surgical abortion procedures take 15 minutes, and it is complete.
- PRIVACY: Medication abortion is conducted in the privacy of your own home. Surgical abortion is a medical procedure in a clinic or doctor’s office.
- PAIN: All birth is painful, and abortion is like a mini-birth. Medication abortion can be described as a very bad period, that lasts over a period of days. Surgical abortion can be painful and intense for the 15 minutes of the procedure, but afterward, it subsides.
There are advantages and drawbacks to both methods, but both are safe and effective:
Based on the chart above, ask yourself the following questions:
1. Was my method already chosen for me?
2. Which method best fits my needs and lifestyle?