Here are THREE possible ways to take MISOPROSTOL:
1. Under the tongue- insert all 4 pills under the tongue and wait 30 min for them to dissolve, then swallow the rest
2. In the cheeks- insert the 4 pills between the cheeks and the teeth, wait 30 min for them to dissolve, then swallow the rest
3. Deep in the vagina, at the cervix– with clean hands, insert the 4 pills deep into the vagina, as close as possible to the cervix. Lay down for 30 minutes. See the next lesson for more information about Misoprostol.
Which administration route should I use?
- if you live in a country where abortion is illegal or could be criminalized, put under your tongue, or between your cheeks and gums. Misoprostol can be detected when put into the vaginal canal–up to days later. However, misoprostol taken in the mouth cannot be detected at all up to five minutes after absorption into the mouth.
- The vaginal route can be more direct if misoprostol is inserted deep enough into the vagina and at the cervix. There can be fewer side effects of the misoprostol because it doesn’t need to travel through the whole body to reach your cervix. Sometimes you may need a repeat dose.
- It is wise to have a second dose of 4 misoprostol tablets with you in case you need a repeat dose for any reason.
- When in doubt, choose the oral route. There is less chance for human error.